Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Non-quilting Quilting Day

I can't say that I've actually quilted on Day 10 of my 365 Days Of Quilting challenge to myself. But, I did pre-shrink the fabrics for the next quilt. I'm counting it. When I got them nicely folded up and put in a stack, grouped by color, I realized that there is not one red or purple in the bunch! There's always some red or dark purple trees in the fall.

You know, until I was on vacation as a teenager in the fall of the year, visiting cousins in Tennessee, I had not known that paintings of colorful trees in the mountains were actually real. I thought artists had made up that kind of color. I had only seen Tennessee in the summer before then, and this Texas panhandle girl didn't know a thing what it was to live among forests, much less forested mountains!
I saw for the first time those paintings come to life. I remember just staring at the beauty. I wonder if mountain dwellers know the beauty of wide open skies - the beautiful wide sunsets and the wonder of the stars that you can see from horizon to horizon, or days when it seems as if a giant blue bowl has been turned upside down on the earth.
They may have seen it in paintings, but to experience the wide open skies in the plain states would have them awe-struck as I was when I saw the side of a fall mountain for the first time.

Back to quilting.. I put on paper the number of squares I've actually quilted. It wasn't until I saw it on paper that I realized I've only quilted 43 squares, not 49! I knew in my head that I had only gotten about one fourth of the quilting done, but again, not until I saw it on paper did I see just how many squares I have to go.

I tried to download the picture I took of that graph and my stack of washed fabric, but for some reason, it failed. If I figure it out, I'll edit this entry and put it in. But for now, this is all I have.

This is Nurse Sharon speaking: Take the needlework cure!

No comments:

Post a Comment